Submissions are invited for Essay Writing Competition on Swachh Sagar by MyGov for the year 2022. The last date of application is 11 September.
India’s coastline of more than 7,500 km reflects our vast ocean resources. Most importantly, the Indian Ocean is the only ocean named after a country, that is, India.
In this context, India, being a signatory of UN “Coastal Clean Seas” campaign, a number of activities have been adopted that have direct relevance with the “Swachh Bharat” vision and has proved highly useful.
The “International Coastal Clean Up Day” is celebrated globally on the third Saturday of September, every year.
This year on 17th September 2022, the Government of India along with other voluntary organizations, and the local society will run a cleanliness campaign “Swachh Sagar, Surakshit Sagar/Clean Coast Safe Sea” along India’s entire coastline. Efforts will be undertaken to collect scientific data and information on Marine Litter in various matrices, such as coastal waters, sediments, biota, and beaches.
The topic for the essay writing competition is “‘Swachh Sagar, Sampoorna Jeevan’ (Cleaner Oceans, Better Life’). The competition will enhance awareness amongst students about India’s maritime ecosystem and the beaches.
Entries should highlight what they know to be the most beautiful thing in the ocean or what they imagine could be the most revered thing in the ocean. They can be as creative and innovative as they want to be. This could include creatures, treasures, equipment, technology, monuments, cities etc.,
This contest is only open to Students of Classes 5 to 8.
Rules and Requirements
- Essays can be written in either English or Hindi.
- Participants have choice to either write by hand or write on a computer and submit a file or printout.
- Participants can upload their entries in .doc, docx, .pdf (Maximum file upload limit- 10MB).
- The entry must not contain any provocative, objectionable, or inappropriate content.
- The participant must be the same person who has written the essay.
- Please note that the essay must be original and should not violate any provision of the Indian Copyright Act, 1957. Anyone found infringing on others’ copyright would be disqualified from the Competition.
Essay should be creative, innovative, influential, and relevant to the contest theme.
Interested candidates can submit entries via this page.
Top five entries selected by committee will receive attractive hamper of science books, stationery, carry bag and certificate.